A fire broke out at the Feather River College dorms late Thursday evening. The Quincy Volunteer Fire Department credited two staff members from the college for quickly containing the fire, which began when a student attempted to make french fries on the stove and the hot oil ignited.
Quincy fire captain John Gay said two of the school’s coaches quickly responded to the fire. Gay said the coaches used fire extinguishers to knock down the flames before the fire department arrived.
“Those guys (coaches) deserve the credit,” Gay said. “Without their quick action it could have resulted in a devastating fire. They did most of the work. By the time the fire department got there, we just made sure the area was safe.”
Damage was limited to one unit and the students living there found other sleeping arrangements for the night.
Smoke entered the units above and adjacent to the damaged dorm apartment, but the students were allowed to remain.
By 10 p.m. the firefighters were mopping up and students were returning to their rooms.
Portola girls win tourney
Portola’s Rachel Wehrman goes for the layup in the Tigers’ game against Loyalton last Friday night. Portola’s girls won in the final minutes. Photos by James...Read More...
Quincy, Portola tip off basketball seasons
Quincy’s Brady Rick looks for his best passing option during the Trojans’ game against Excel Christian on Dec. 5. The Trojans won 63-48. Photos by James Wilson James...Read More...
Greenville hosts basketball tournament
Walker Myers makes the layup during Greenville’s game against Providence Christian last Friday. The Indians won 46-30 before continuing on to play two more teams...Read More...