|These are the stories we are working on for this week's newspaper:|
Museum docent Sherie Grate refurbishes the “Barbed Wire that Won the West” display donated to the Plumas County Museum by John and Gladys Gray. Photos submitted
Docent Linda Reid Wallace has volunteered to keep the Plumas County Museum in Quincy open on Sundays starting May 5.
As of this writing, the hours will be 10 a.m. – 3 p.m. Besides cataloging artifacts, Wallace has also developed a small exhibit on volunteer fire departments of Plumas County utilizing in part items recently donated by Quincy’s Tati Erickson. Featured are a brass speaking trumpet, round bottom bucket and various patches, badges, caps and photographs.
Museum docents Sherie Grate and Keith Nicoles teamed up to rebuild the museum’s barbed wire collection display, originally assembled and donated by the late John and Gladys Gray of Quincy.
Entitled “Barbed Wire that Won the West,” it is a collection of some 47 different styles of barbed wire the Grays collected before making the donation Oct. 9, 1969. Over the years, barbed wire collectors have amassed upwards of 600 different styles of this prickly metal from all over the American West.
Behind the scenes, Nancy Nicoles has been busy cataloging the museum’s massive collection of abstracts of title, documents detailing the chain of ownership of various properties throughout Plumas County since its earliest days.
The collection was donated by Fidelity Title when it closed shop in Quincy.
Jo Ann Filippi, of Meadow Valley, retired as museum registrar and now a volunteer, has been documenting and cataloging items in the museum’s extensive archival collection.
The collection is comprised of thousands upon thousands of items ranging from pioneer diaries; court documents; postcard and photograph albums; scrapbooks; unpublished manuscripts; civic, fraternal and sorority organization documents; business records; and much more — she estimates that she should complete the task sometime around the year 2525!
Lisa Hopman has also been working diligently on the Superior Court cases collection, and with only some twenty or thirty thousand cases to go, she is confident she will be right there with Jo Ann in 2525.
Yardmaster Sally Nichol has been working hard in the 1878 Variel Home gardens and the 1875 Hall-Lawry House yards, de-winterizing and coaxing out the spring shrubs and flowers. At any given time you might find her down amongst the roses and thorns pulling weeds and transplanting bulbs.
As we gear up for spring and summer we have several new tour guides for the 1878 Variel Home to give tours to museum visitors. Keith and Nancy Nicoles and Linda Reid Wallace have volunteered to take some of the pressure off of longtime Variel Home guide Ann Castaldini.
Museum Director Scott Lawson invites everyone to come by the Plumas County Museum to see these changes and more. Regular hours are Wednesday through Saturday, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m., and, starting May 5, 10 a.m. – 3 p.m. Sunday. Due to staff reductions, Lawson requests that visitors call ahead at 283-6320 to confirm hours and tour availability.
As weather warms up, golf courses open for season
Fore! That word is once again heard in the distance in Plumas County. As springtime springs into action, golf courses across...
California Outdoors for the week of 4/11/2014
Carrie Wilson California Department of Fish and Wildlife Fish and wildlife regulations don’t always keep up with latest technology Hunting with pellet rifles Question:...Read More...
Trojans baseball blows out Portola
Quincy’s Jake Wallace is cocked and ready to fire off a fastball. Wallace pitched the second game for Quincy at the Biggs tournament last weekend. File photo...Read More...