US Forest Service to conduct prescribed burn north of Lake Almanor
Prescribed Burning on the Lassen National Forest
The Almanor Ranger District of the Lassen National Forest is planning on implementing a prescribed burn in the West Dusty Project Area on Tuesday, July 19th, weather permitting.
- Descriptive Location: West Dusty Project Area, ten miles northwest of Chester, California between Feather River Rod & Gun Club and Stump Ranch
- Total acreage: Up to 177 acres could be burned over the course of several days
- Planned initiation: Tuesday, July 19th
- Duration of ignition: Ignition is planned to occur throughout July and August, weather permittin
- Smoke impacts: Watch for smoke on County Road 311 between Stump Ranch and Feather River Meadow
- Watch for: Firefighters and firefighting equipment along the roads.
- Please Obey Signs Posted Along RoadwContact: For questions, please call (530)258-2141, 8:00 – 4:30, Monday – Friday. For emergencies, dial 911.
The Lassen NF and the Almanor RD appreciate the patience of the community as we implement this burn to reduce hazardous fuel accumulations in an effort to maintain the integrity of existing fuel breaks. Objectives of this burn include to:
· Return fire to its historical role in maintaining ecosystem health
· Decrease wildfire threat to structures in the area’s urban interface by reducing surface and ladder fuels
· Enhance habitat and forage for wildlife