• almanor energy
  • coldwellbanker
  • image
  • image
  • Linda Gillam

Man charged with murder pleads ‘not guilty’ in Antelope Lake shooting

Dan McDonald
Staff Writer

The man accused of killing Susanville resident Rory McGuire during a July 2 car chase pleaded “not guilty” to the murder charge and seven other felony counts last week.

Gregory Chad Wallin-Reed, 36, of Reno, waived his right to a speedy trial during his continued arraignment Thursday, Aug. 4.

After entering his plea in Plumas County Superior Court in Quincy, Wallin-Reed was returned to the Plumas County Jail. He is being held on $1 million bail.

Wallin-Reed is scheduled to appear in court Sept. 23 for a pre-trial conference.

In addition to murder, Wallin-Reed has been charged with shooting at an occupied vehicle, five counts of assault with a deadly weapon, and possession of an assault weapon.

Wallin-Reed admitted opening fire on a fleeing car containing McGuire and five other Susanville men after he said they were stealing solar lights from his residence on the Janesville grade near Antelope Lake.

Two passengers in the car driven by McGuire were wounded in the shooting. Justin Smyth, 20, and Robert Osornio, 19, sustained gunshot wounds to their lower legs.

Wallin-Reed, who reported the shooting to the Plumas County Sheriff’s Office, was arrested July 3.

The charges were upgraded to murder July 4 after McGuire died at Renown Regional Medical Center in Reno.

According to the 911 phone log, Wallin-Reed said during the call that one of the men in the fleeing car fired a shot at him.

However, an investigation into the shooting has found no evidence that McGuire or the five other men in his car were armed. Two solar lights were recovered.

According to investigators, Wallin-Reed was in possession of a .380 handgun and an AR-15 assault rifle.

McGuire, who was shot in the head and hand, was airlifted to Reno.

Smyth was flown to Enloe hospital in Chico where he reportedly underwent at least one operation for a bullet wound in his calf. He was released July 7.

Osornio was transported to Plumas District Hospital in Quincy. He was soon released with a bullet reportedly still lodged in his lower leg.

The other three passengers — John Chanley, 20; Richard Chanley, 19; and Cesar Gonzalez, 20 — escaped serious injury.

The events surrounding the shooting are still under a joint investigation by the sheriff’s office, the district attorney’s office and the Department of Justice.

According to information provided for the investigation, Wallin-Reed began to chase the six men late on the evening of July 2. He said he saw the men stealing solar lights from his residence, located about nine miles from Antelope Lake.

The men fled by car and headed in the direction of the lake.

Wallin-Reed followed them in a pickup.

The men said Wallin-Reed was firing a gun while closely pursuing their car for about seven miles.

McGuire eventually entered a gravel road. He reportedly made a spinning U-turn and returned in the direction of Wallin-Reed’s truck in an attempt to escape.

That is when Wallin-Reed reportedly fired several AR-15 rounds at the passing car, striking McGuire in the head.

The car drifted off the side of the road and came to a stop in a meadow.

The men told investigators Wallin-Reed got out of his truck and approached them, carrying the assault rifle.

They said Wallin-Reed spoke to them. There are unconfirmed reports of what was said.

At 11:29 p.m. Saturday, July 2, Plumas County sheriff’s dispatchers received a 911 call from Wallin-Reed.

The 911 call log indicates Wallin-Reed reported that he had shot someone on top of the Janesville grade.

The log entry stated, “He thinks he shot the driver.”

According to the report, Wallin-Reed told the dispatcher that the suspects were armed.

Wallin-Reed agreed to drive to the dam at Antelope Lake to meet with deputies.

At 11:52 a person called 911 to report two of the victims with minor injuries had arrived at Long Point campground on Antelope Lake.

The 911 call log stated the vehicle containing the injured men was located on Forest City Road, between Long Point and Lone Rock.

Wallin-Reed, who has no prior criminal record, was arraigned Tuesday, July 5. He waived his right to fight extradition in the event that he makes bail and leaves California.

Wallin-Reed is being represented by Reno attorneys Richard Young and John Ohlson.

  • Search area
    • Site
    • Web
  • Search type
    • Web
    • Image
    • News
    • Video
  • Power by JLex


Yellow Pages