A fire broke out at the Feather River College dorms late Thursday evening. The Quincy Volunteer Fire Department credited two staff members from the college for quickly containing the fire, which began when a student attempted to make french fries on the stove and the hot oil ignited.
Quincy fire captain John Gay said two of the school’s coaches quickly responded to the fire. Gay said the coaches used fire extinguishers to knock down the flames before the fire department arrived.
“Those guys (coaches) deserve the credit,” Gay said. “Without their quick action it could have resulted in a devastating fire. They did most of the work. By the time the fire department got there, we just made sure the area was safe.”
Damage was limited to one unit and the students living there found other sleeping arrangements for the night.
Smoke entered the units above and adjacent to the damaged dorm apartment, but the students were allowed to remain.
By 10 p.m. the firefighters were mopping up and students were returning to their rooms.
As weather warms up, golf courses open for season
Fore! That word is once again heard in the distance in Plumas County. As springtime springs into action, golf courses across...
California Outdoors for the week of 4/11/2014
Carrie Wilson California Department of Fish and Wildlife Fish and wildlife regulations don’t always keep up with latest technology Hunting with pellet rifles Question:...Read More...
Trojans baseball blows out Portola
Quincy’s Jake Wallace is cocked and ready to fire off a fastball. Wallace pitched the second game for Quincy at the Biggs tournament last weekend. File photo...Read More...