A huge sugarpine tree was cut down two years prematurely by mistake this week on land owned by Roberts Lumber Company in Spring Garden. It measured nine feet at the butt, producing 26,000 feet of lumber worth $18–$35 per thousand feet at the present market. 34 cords of wood were also cut from the waste. The tree would have been worth $500 more in two years.
75 Years Ago … 1933
Plumas County’s effort to obtain better mail service that that provided by Western Pacific Railroad terminated in success this week when a star route mail contract from Chilcoot to Quincy was awarded to Feather River State Company. The route will serve Portola, Delleker, Blairsden, Spring Garden and Quincy.
50 Years Ago … 1958
A spectacular fire Monday took the old Quincy Lumber Company mill which for the past 45 years has been a vital part of the community until it was closed down last year. The mill was built in the fall of 1913 and put into operation in 1914 and was originally known as F.S. Murphy Company. Later it was sold to C.A. King and became the Quincy Lumber mill and more recently was purchased by the Meadow Valley Lumber Company, when it closed.
25 Years Ago … 1983
The Plumas County Board of Supervisors have selected a basic design for the remodeling of the Plumas County jail with a cost of $959,504. The design would increase the jail from 13 to 33 beds. The project is pending California State Proposition 2 funding.
Note: Items included in the weekly Remember When column are taken from our bound newspaper archives and represent writing styles of that particular period. The spelling and grammar are not edited, so the copy is presented as it actually appeared in the original newspapers.