Remember When for the week of 7/6/2011

Keri Taborski
Feather Publishing Historian

75 YEARS AGO......1936

Ending a six year shut down, the Quincy Lumber Company sawmill will re-open next month announced C. A. King, company general manager and Quincy resident. The sawmill shut down in 1930 and since then the operations have been centered at the Sloat mill. Logs for the Quincy mill will be cut in Butterfly Valley where Quincy Lumber Company purchased 80 million board feet of government owned timber.

50 YEARS AGO......1961

The Plumas County Board of Supervisors this week agreed to the purchase of the old First Western Bank building in Greenville to be used to house the Plumas County justice court there.

The proprietor of the Almanor Inn was robbed at gunpoint Thursday afternoon of $3,800 on his way to the bank in Chester to make a bank deposit. The gunman is still at large.

25 YEARS AGO.........1986

Greyhound bus service will discontinue all service to Plumas County effective this week. Before the February floods washed out State Route Highway 70, Greyhound used to run from Reno to Oroville daily. For four months after the floods the bus continued to run from Reno to Quincy with a stop in Portola and back daily.

10 YEARS AGO........2010

A $38.00 annual solid waste tax imposed on Plumas County property owners has been renewed by the Pumas County Board of Supervisors, generating some $600,000 for the county each year.

Contact Us
Local Events
Building Contractor

"); pageTracker._trackPageview(); } catch(err) {}