Remember When for the week of 2/28/18

100 YEARS AGO … 1918

Plumas County Publishing Company publishes every Thursday the Plumas National-Bulletin, good hometown newspapers devoted to agriculture, mining, court and Plumas County Board of Supervisors proceedings, local news and miscellaneous selected matter. Subscribe at $3.00 per year.

50 YEARS AGO … 1968

The number of businesses in Plumas County increased 2.7 per cent in 1967. 1967 records show 302 retailers, 294 in 1966. Chester and Quincy reported the most increases in commerce.

Roger Settlemire, Chester attorney, has announced he will resign his Plumas County Deputy District Attorney post on April 1 to resume his private law practice. Long time Quincy attorney Morris Durant will fill that county position.

25 YEARS ago … 1993

A citizens committee to investigate the possibility of installing a traffic light at a Quincy intersection has been formed. The stop light is proposed to be installed at the intersection of Quincy Junction Road and the Plumas Pines Shopping Center near Quincy High School. Cal Trans has estimated that the cost of doing so would cost Plumas County $50,000-$75,000 even as a cost sharing project.

10 YEARS AGO … 2008

The debate to accept the Plumas County Fair Board’s moniker of Serpilio Hall for the structure at the fairgrounds formerly known as the Commercial Building, was finally approved by the Plumas County Board of Supervisors. The renaming will be in addition to other named structures at the fairgrounds including the Tulsa Scott Pavilion and the Leonard Ross horse arena.

Note: items included in the weekly Remember When column are taken from our bound newspaper archives and represent writing styles of that particular period. The spelling and grammar are not edited, so the copy is presented as it actually appeared in the original newspaper.

Click here to submit a letter to the editor about this post.