Remember When for the week of 3/22/17

100 YEARS AGO … 1916

The California State Automobile Association has met with a widespread demand for the maps showing the roads of Plumas County. Maintaining an informational booth at the Pacific Automobile Show in San Francisco, the association reports that the Feather River map is in the greatest demand than any other.

50 YEARS AGO … 1967

Plumas Unified School District is now part of the Peralta Junior Community College District in Oakland effective July 1968. Next steps of the annexation include the naming of a Plumas County advisory board, naming a college president of the yet to be built college campus and establishing course offerings to be made in the Fall of 1968, according to PUSD Superintendent Robert Schoensee. No prospective campus sites have been examined or chosen to date.

25 YEARS AGO … 1992

Plumas County must pay $364,000 to its own road department for work done at the Gopher Hill landfill dump site. The Plumas County Board of Supervisors authorized project became necessary three years ago when toxins broke through a landfill holding pond and spilled 90,000 gallons of pollution into Spanish Creek.

10 YEARS AGO … 2007

The Safeway Stores in both Quincy and Susanville have voluntarily recalled several of its private label white and wheat bread products sold at the stores, as the products may contain wire fragments from production machinery.

Note: items included in the weekly Remember When column are taken from our bound newspaper archives and represent writing styles of that particular period. The spelling and grammar are not edited, so the copy is presented as it actually appeared in the original newspaper.