Remember When for the week of 5/10/17

100 YEARS AGO … 1917

Miss Dorothy Clarke, the Plumas County librarian, informs us that three new library branches of the county free library have been established: one at Cedar Glen, another at Walker Copper Mine and a third located at Clio, headquartered in Brake’s Store.

The Plumas Ford Garage in Quincy expects four railroad carloads of automobiles to arrive there this week. The shipment will include two carloads of Fords, one carload of Buicks and one carload of Dodges.

50 YEARS AGO … 1967

Advertisement: Now open for the season and Mother’s Day: Black Forest Lodge near Chester. Trout farm and hatchery pond fishing–catch all you want at 35 cents a trout and we will cook them. Our pond trout dinners (three trout served)–only $2.50.

Cedar Tavern featuring Chinese food, located at Highway 70 at the Sloat intersection.

River Pines in Blairsden—special every Sunday night: braised sirloin tips with noodles, salad, vegetable and dessert $1.75.

25 YEARS AGO … 1992

Everett Bey, the co-founder of the Worlds Champion Cribbage Tournament held annually in Quincy, captured the win at the 21st annual tournament held at the Plumas County Fairgrounds last weekend. He defeated Dick Combie of Santa Clara.

Citing lack of action offering timber sales by the USFS in addition to the endangered spotted owl issue, Sierra Pacific Industries in Quincy has laid off 20 of their 180 full time employees. The reductions will eliminate yearly salaries of nearly $2 million.

10 YEARS AGO … 2007

Tickets are now on sale for the “Save the Floor” event at the Taylorsville Grange Hall this weekend. The bouncy Grange floor is 40 years old and has been sanded to the point where that it needs to be replaced. The Grange Hall burned down in 1967 and was rebuilt as a one-story building, along with the famous bouncy spring-like dance floor. The original hall was built by the Golden Sons of the Golden West in 1917 from lumber from the Ferris Sawmill in Greenville. The Indian Valley Grange, first organized in 1928, purchased the hall in 1934.

Note: items included in the weekly Remember When column are taken from our bound newspaper archives and represent writing styles of that particular period. The spelling and grammar are not edited, so the copy is presented as it actually appeared in the original newspaper.