Remember When for the week of 6/21/17

100 YEARS AGO … 1917

The annual crop of tourists and transient visitors to Plumas is a little late in putting in an appearance this summer as summertime was two to three weeks behind its usual schedule. However, it is now getting very hot in the valley and down country and denziens of those localites are beginning to travel to cooler Plumas County.

50 YEARS AGO … 1967

Bids will open for the construction of new quarters for the Quincy branch of Bank of America. The 56 foot by 100 foot, 5600 square foot building will be built at the northeast corner of Main and Filmore Streets. The new facility will feature 14 teller stations and 28 parking places. The present branch, located at Main and Harbison Streets, began operations more than 30 years ago.

25 YEARS AGO … 1992

Tom Hunter has been named Plumas County Directors of Public Works at a salary of $62,200 a year. In the past, Hunter has been county assistant engineer, building superintendent and a building official since 1983.

10 YEARS AGO … 2007

A boulder dislodged 22 Union Pacific railroad cars in the Feather River Canyon Saturday. The load of stir fry oil rapidly turned rancid in the sweltering temperatures with one container car sending 20,000 gallons of peanut oil down to Storrie Resort. It affected a great many fish.

Note: items included in the weekly Remember When column are taken from our bound newspaper archives and represent writing styles of that particular period. The spelling and grammar are not edited, so the copy is presented as it actually appeared in the original newspaper.