100 YEARS AGO … 1917
A shipment of twenty containers with 40,000 young trout will arrive in Plumas County this week from the California State Fish and Game Commission consigned to the county to be released throughout the streams of Plumas.
50 YEARS AGO … 1967
Congressman Harold T. “Bizz” Johnson, representing Plumas County, announced the award of a contract for construction of a new post office building in Quincy to be built on the south side of Lawrence Street east of Crescent Street. The 3,683 square foot building will be completed within the next seven months.
Advertisement: Dance to the “Merry Mobleys” and partake of a potluck supper at the Seneca Resort located six miles below Canyon Dam.
25 YEARS AGO … 1992
The Chester Wesleyan Church celebrated its 50th year in the community this week. A total of 18 Wesleyan pastors have ministered there since the Reverend Harold Taylor held the first service on August 16, 1942. In January 1951 the interior of the church was destroyed by fire and the services were held at the Chester Women’s Club room at the Legion Hall until it was rebuilt.
10 YEARS AGO … 2007
CalTrans has deemed that 17 of the 90 Plumas County bridges are rated structurally deficient. Only five of those are slated to receive renovation funding.
Note: items included in the weekly Remember When column are taken from our bound newspaper archives and represent writing styles of that particular period. The spelling and grammar are not edited, so the copy is presented as it actually appeared in the original newspaper.