Remember When for the week of 11/16/16

100 YEARS AGO … 1916

Editorial: The current Plumas County Recorder more than earns his salary. The busiest county office undoubtedly is occupied by Leon L. Clough, county recorder. The shear volume of paperwork filed during the past year has amounted to fees of well beyond his annual salary of $1,880.00 per year.

50 YEARS AGO … 1966

The chosen building site of the new Quincy post office is on the south side of Lawrence Street located 275 feet east of Crescent Street. The United States Post Office Department has acquired the 14,875 square foot of land for $20,792.00. There will be 3,513 square feet of floor space with 8,450 square feet of adjacent parking.

25 YEARS AGO … 1991

The railroad tunnel north of Keddie that was devastated by fire November of last year has been determined to be arson caused and has led investigators to a single suspect who they suspect to be responsible for the estimated $4 million in damage in and reconstruction costs of the wooden tunnel.

10 YEARS AGO … 2006

Vandals struck “Clock Park” in downtown Portola over the weekend destroying 15 feet of fencing of the back corner and back wall of the enclosed park.

Note: items included in the weekly Remember When column are taken from our bound newspaper archives and represent writing styles of that particular period. The spelling and grammar are not edited, so the copy is presented as it actually appeared in the original newspaper.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *