Remember When for the week of 6/27/18

100 YEARS AGO … 1918

The mill at Sloat belonging to the F.S. Murphy Company was completely destroyed by fire last Wednesday morning. The old Sloat lumber mill was torn our last fall and the entire structure was rebuilt with new machinery. The loss is estimated to be $45,000.

50 YEARS AGO … 1968

The annual Plumas County Chamber of Commerce banquet and installation of officers was held at the Crossroads Restaurant at Lake Almanor where Robert Cooke of Taylorsville was installed as president. . Other officers installed were vice president Paul Whipple of Greenville, treasurer Ralph Boss of Quincy and directors Al Engle of Portola, W.W. Davis of Almanor, Wes Meeker of Chester, George Wilson of Belden, Vaughn Webb of La Porte and Bob Edwards of Quincy. During the ceremony, the history of the county chamber was reviewed and it was noted that the county chamber was founded in 1948.

25 YEARS AGO … 1993

As of July 1, all Feather Publishing Company publications: Feather River Bulletin, Indian Valley Record, Chester Progressive and Portola Reporter will increase from 35 cents a copy to 50 cents a copy, the first increase since 1988.

Sierra Pacific Industries is donating a 100 by 60 foot building to the Plumas County Fairgrounds in exchange for 25 trees that must be removed from the lower horse barn area due to disease. The SPI donated building will replace the 60 by 40 foot 4-H sales barn which was damaged in the storm this past winter.

10 YEARS AGO … 2008

A film making group who made a documentary on the Keddie murders returned to Plumas County to continue interviews and take updated photographs. They have a website: keddiemurdersmovie.com that addresses the making of the film and the future proposed book.

Note: items included in the weekly Remember When column are taken from our bound newspaper archives and represent writing styles of that particular period. The spelling and grammar are not edited, so the copy is presented as it actually appeared in the original newspaper.