Remember When for the week of 8/1/18

100 YEARS AGO … 1918

Plumas County Bank offers safety, service and convenience for Plumas County people. Resources June 1917: $271,000. Resources June 1918: $353,000.

50 YEARS AGO … 1968

An open house will be held tomorrow night at the new building of the Bank of America located at Main and Fillmore Streets in Quincy, The new 5,600 square foot building will be open for business Monday with 13 tellers to serve the public.

The new Post Office building on Lawrence Street in Quincy will be dedicated with an open house on Saturday. (Note: 2018–currently the site of the Plumas County Child Support Services office and across from the Quincy Fire Department.) The office for many years was in the brick building on Main Street, now called the Miners Exchange, then located opposite the new Bank of America building

25 YEARS AGO … 1993

For the first time in 46 years the Sweetheart of the Mountains pageant will not be a part of the Plumas County Fair in August. After an extended deadline seeking contestants in Plumas County and only two entries, the pageant has been cancelled and there will be no successor to the 1992 Sweetheart Joy Covington

10 YEARS AGO … 2008

Union Pacific Railroad has been ordered to pay $102 million to settle a civil law suit brought by the government in Union Pacific Railroad’s involvement in the Storrie Fire that ravaged Plumas and Lassen National Forests in 2000. The UPRR was accused of starting the fire during the mid-day repair operations on railroad tracks. The settlement compensates both for fire suppression costs and losses in natural resources.

Note: items included in the weekly Remember When column are taken from our bound newspaper archives and represent writing styles of that particular period. The spelling and grammar are not edited, so the copy is presented as it actually appeared in the original newspaper.

Click here to submit a letter to the editor about this post.