UPDATE 9 p.m.: It was a very active day for the Sheep Fire with southwesterly winds pushing the fire to the northeast. The fire grew one mile to the north. While three structures burned last night, no structures burned today. During a briefing tonight in Quincy, incident command thanked all of the firefighting agencies that worked diligently to protect homes and property. While the fire has spotted around the golf course, it has not burned to it.
UPDATE 2:50 p.m.:
Susan Hills Area Evacuation Warning
A MANDATORY EVACUATION ORDER has been issued for the following areas effective immediately:
• Both sides of Gold Run Road from Richmond Road west to the end of Gold Run including Gunderson Road and Hidden Hills Drive.
• Amesbury Drive beginning at Gold Run Road and encompassing all roads south including Jura Road, Juro Road, Hill Creek Road and Morningstar Road.
• *Residents along the south side of Richmond Road from Circle Drive to Deforest Drive and Wingfield Road from Richmond Road to Mountain Meadow Ranch but not including Mountain Meadow Ranch and all roads accessed by Wingfield Road to that point.
• Old Archery Road, Old Scotts Logging Road, Childrens Road, and Oak Mountain Drive.
• *The south side of Richmond Road from Gold Run Road to Wingfield Road. This includes Circle Drive, Fairway Drive, Eagle Drive, Circle Court, Oaks Mountain Drive and the West Side of Wingfield Road, Haven Lane and Four Oaks Drive.
An EVACUATION WARNING has been issued for the following areas:
• Susan Hills Area from Susan Hills Drive to Gold Run Road including Bauer Road.
• Wingfield Road from Mountain Meadow Ranch east to the end of the pavement.
• The north side of Richmond Road from Gold Run Road to Singletree Lane including Singletree Lane.
Road Closures: All of Gold Run Road is closed and Richmond Road is closed from a half mile east of Richmond School to Gold Run Road.
People need to leave immediately. Please use caution, drive with your headlights on and yield to emergency personnel. Residents needing assistance evacuating are asked to call the dispatch center at (530)257-6121. If you need shelter, go to the Lassen Community College Dormitories. Large animals can be housed at the Lassen County Fairgrounds. Go to the Fair office on Russell Drive first before 5pm. After 5pm, call the Emergency Shelter Line at (530)250-9088. Liability, feed, and care of large animals is the sole responsibility of the animal’s owner. Deputies will be going door to door to make notification.
The Sheep Fire, burning southwest of Susanville, has burned 5,286 acres and is 0 percent contained. Earlier reports put the wildfire at 7,000 acres. Three residences are reported destroyed. More than 250 structures are threatened.
Several evacuation orders and warnings remain in place due to the fire in the Gold Run Road and golf course areas.
This morning it was reported that the fire made a run in the Gold Hill Road area overnight, but crews used bulldozers and heavy equipment to fight it.
According to last evening’s update, “The Sheep Fire, located southwest of Susanville, grew today towards Susanville and impacted residences along Gold Run Road just north of the Lassen/Plumas County Line. Crews worked aggressively to build fire line while providing structure protection. Though temperatures were cooler, crews had to contend with strong gusty winds. The steep terrain is making fire suppression difficult as is the lack of available resources due to other fires throughout the state. Crews will continue to build and strengthen fire line tonight and continue with structure protection. Resources include: 15 dozers, 36 engines, 2 hand crews and 2 helicopters.”