The first Bunnell Hotel, built in 1886, burned down in 1899. It was built on the North Fork of the Feather River next to a bridge built for traffic between Chico and Susanville on the Humboldt Road. The structure on the left is the boathouse. Fishermen could hire local youths to row them on the river, and guests wishing a scenic excursion could row themselves and their family members. Maine native George Butterfield built several boats in his shop for both resorts and individuals. Photo courtesy Chester-Lake Almanor Museum/ Marilyn Quadrio

History Night tomorrow at Veteran’s Hall

The Chester-Lake Almanor Museum presents its regularly scheduled History Night program Thursday, Aug. 22, hosted by local historian Marilyn Quadrio.

The free talk will continue the exploration of the pioneers in Big Meadows and the developing tourism industry in a bygone era with a slide presentation of the Lee, Costar, Butterfield and Bunnell families and the hotels that Luther Wellington Bunnell built off the point of today’s Peninsula.

The North Fork and its tributaries in Big Meadows were becoming a Mecca for trout fishermen across the state, the nation, and even drew some European visitors, noted Quadrio.

The chat takes place at the Veterans Memorial Hall in Chester from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.

The public is invited to attend the event to learn more about the history of Chester and the surrounding environs.

Quadrio encourages those in attendance to feel free to ask questions and share information with other attendees if they happen to have additional information about the topic under discussion.