Well, it’s time to say goodbye to July … for me it’s always a bittersweet time, as July is one of my favorite months to spend time in the Lake Almanor area.
But never fear, as August is looking to be another fun-filled month! It kicks off with Lassen Volcanic National Park’s Dark Sky Festival, and ends with a bang this year with some great Labor Day Weekend activities and the Lake Almanor Area Chamber of Commerce Labor Day Fireworks Spectacular.
Labor Day weekend’s special events will focus on “Discovering our Woodlands and Watershed.” The weekend starts at 10 a.m. on Friday, Aug. 30, with a Sustainable Forestry Tour hosted by Collins Pine and Collins Museum. The tour runs from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. with lunch, a tour of the museum, Collins Mill, and Collins Park 40. It is limited to 30 people for a fee of $60. At the end of the day, Friday, 5 – 7 p.m., the Chamber, Sierra Institute and Collins Museum will be hosting a Town Talk titled, “Trees, Trout & Stout.” The event is free to the public. Community organizations who work toward the health and sustainability of our forests and watershed will be present with booths and activities to educate and entertain.
Saturday there will be several activities to enjoy. The Lake Almanor Art Show will run from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at recreation area 1 in the Lake Almanor Country Club. In addition, the Plumas Audubon Society will host three “Grebe Tours by Boat” with tour times and fees to be announced. That same day Sierra Institute will host “Wildfire on the Watershed,” a 3-hour tour with refreshments ending on the West Shore of Lake Almanor with a great view of the Fireworks Spectacular. Fees and times for this tour are coming soon with information to be posted on our Chamber website, LakeAlmanorArea.com
Here is a partial list of other upcoming events and activities you won’t want to miss:
• Aug. 1 – Workshop at Blue Goose Gallery — Painting Birds in Watercolor
• Aug. 2 – First Friday Art Reception at Blue Goose Gallery
• Aug. 2 & 3 – Lassen Dark Sky Festival
• Aug. 3 – Lake Almanor Country Club Concert Series — Blues Monsters
• Aug. 3 Olsen Barn Dinner & Dance
• Aug. 8 – History Night at the Chester-Lake Almanor Museum — the Founding of Prattville
• Aug. 8 – Workshop at Blue Goose Gallery — Is Collage for the Birds?
• Aug. 9 – Lake Almanor Area Monthly Photowalk
• Aug. 9 – 2nd Fridays at Stover Landing
• Aug. 10 – Workshop at Blue Goose Gallery — “Pineneedle Basketry”
• Aug. 10 & 11 – The Bidwell House Fine Art & Craft Show
• Aug. 10 & 11 – Discover Lassen Volcanic National Park
• Aug. 10 – Guided Hike around Manzanita Lake
• Aug. 11 – Reach the Peak Hike-a-Thon
• Aug. 12 – Workshop at Blue Goose Gallery — Scarves to Wine and Dye 4
• Aug. 12 & 15 – Workshop at Blue Goose Gallery — Photography 101
• Aug. 22 – History Night at the Chester-Lake Almanor Museum -— Tourism & Resorts
• Aug. 24 – 5th Annual Courage Triathlon
Continue submitting your events to our Community Calendar at lakealmanorarea.com/calendar.html, and check back often to see what’s new.
And as always, enjoy playing in the Lake Almanor Basin — your Base Camp to the Northern California Outdoors!