Remember When for the week of November 30, 2016
100 YEARS AGO … 1916
The proprietors of the Blairsden Stage Line have built two new stations on the road between Sierra City and Blairsden. One of these stations is located mid-way between Blairsden and the Gold Lake station and the other will be built at Upper Sardine bridge five miles above Sierra City. The stage stations will be stocked with hay and grain and will be an asset in breaking the road this winter.
50 YEARS AGO … 1966
Headline news: HOTEL QUINCY BURNS– Fire early Sunday destroyed the Hotel Quincy–successor to the famed Plumas House. Fire in the empty, locked hotel was reported about 3:45 a.m. Sunday with thick black smoke coming from the second floor windows on the north side of the building. Damages are estimated at $150,000. The Plumas House was destroyed by fire as well, in June of 1923.
25 YEARS AGO … 1991
Jim Brock, 62, a Plumas County Road Department employee since 1966 and the county’s first Public Works director has retired after a quarter century with Plumas County.
10 YEARS AGO … 2006
Indian Valley Hospital closed its doors this week after 51 years of operation including its long term patient wing where 16 residents had to be relocated
Note: items included in the weekly Remember When column are taken from our bound newspaper archives and represent writing styles of that particular period. The spelling and grammar are not edited, so the copy is presented as it actually appeared in the original newspaper.