100 YEARS AGO … 1919
Active operations at the Plumas Eureka mine in Johnsville started yesterday and will continue throughout the winter. The stamp mill is under full headway with some 40,000 tons of ore awaiting the crushers. The ore will run $7.00 a ton.
50 YEARS AGO … 1969
The name “Golden Eagles” and the school colors of Green and Gold are the overwhelming choices of Feather River College students and will be recommended to the FRC advisory board for approval and formal adoption.
25 YEARS AGO … 1994
At the Plumas County Board of Supervisors meeting this week, Assistant Sheriff Walt Nelson received permission to apply to the California State Board of Corrections for funding to remodel key portions of the Plumas County jail in Quincy. Nelson is seeking $73,700 from the state to enlarge and modernize the kitchen, laundry, booking and investigation facilities. The county would require to provide the same amount in matching funds.
10 YEARS AGO … 2009
The 50 year old rest area located between Portola and Beckwourth has been dismantled and will be rebuilt and in use again in 2011 to comply with ADA (American Disability Act) requirements. Known as the L. T. Davis rest area, it was named for Lester Davis, a prominent local legislator. The upgraded area will cost $1.66 million and will include restrooms, a covered picnic area, a new well, landscaping, irrigation, as well as ADA upgrades.
Note: items included in the weekly Remember When column are taken from our bound newspaper archives and represent writing styles of that particular period. The spelling and grammar are not edited, so the copy is presented as it actually appeared in the original newspaper.