Here’s a Room-By Room Guide to Find the Energy Vampires Sucking Up Electricity
- Most appliances with a digital clock are constantly sucking power to keep the time and displays running. Unplug coffee makers, microwaves, and toaster ovens when not in use.
- Flatscreen, TVs – are the most unquenchable. The cable box, game consoles, stereos and DVD players also are huge consumers of standby power. Install a smart power strip to make saving energy easy.
- Change the setting on the home computer and unplug the laser printer as well as laptops when not in use.
- Look out for alarm clocks (anything with a LED display is a vampire), unplug cell phone and other electronic chargers when not in use.
- When finished charging, unplug electric drills, saws, screwdrivers, and other tools.
Tap into the Halloween spirit by spooking energy vampires into giving your utility bill a treat! For even more ways to reduce energy use, check out our energy-saving tips.