Obituaries for the week of 2/14/18

Mary Margaret “Margie” Baur

Mary Margaret “Margie” Baur passed from this human life at her home in Portola on Feb. 1, 2018. She was surrounded by her children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren.

Margie was born to Raymond and Margaret Cook on April 25, 1921, in Desoto, Missouri. She had a happy childhood, as part of a large extended family. She graduated from Festus High School in 1939, and then she worked in a civil service job in St. Louis, Missouri.

When WWII began she went to work for the McQuay-Norris Manufacturing Company in St. Louis. While there she worked as an inspector in the ordnance department on “Project A” (.30 and .50-caliber ordnance), and received a commendation from Rear Admiral G. F. Hussey Jr. She was a volunteer at the St. Louis USO. When one of her grandchildren asked if she had been interested in sports as a young woman, she replied, “I never had time for basketball. I was too busy dancing.”

In 1943 she traveled to California to marry her longtime sweetheart Clyde “Buzzy” Baur, Naval Chief Petty Officer, who had returned from Hawaii to pick up new airplanes for his fighter squadron. While Buzzy was deployed as his squadron’s chief airplane mechanic on various aircraft carriers in the South Pacific, Margie would return to St. Louis to work. After the war they settled in Montrose, where they began their family.

Having been a child of the Great Depression and a young woman during wartime, Margie happily settled into the role of homemaker. She was active in the elementary school Mothers Club, the Altar Society and annual school fiesta fundraisers. She enjoyed cooking and entertaining guests in her home. When a friend or neighbor was sick, she was the first to arrive with a casserole. Ensuring the best education for their children was a priority for Margie and Buzzy. Their five children attended parochial schools and went to college.

In 1972 the family moved to Mission Viejo. Margie re-entered the workforce at age 50 as an aide at Mission Viejo High School. Although hired to assist the Home Economics Department, she was soon recruited by the math and science teachers. When budget cuts eliminated her position, she went to work for Leisure World, Corp. and later was a receptionist at an optometrist office. She enjoyed helping people. During that time, she also taught religious education classes to fourth through sixth graders at St. Killian’s Parish. She loved teaching her students the Old Testament stories and making them relevant to her students’ lives.

When their children began having children, Margie would help each time there was a new grandchild. She did the housework and cooking so that her adult children could bond with their babies.

Always full of energy, Margie helped her husband build and remodel several family homes. In 1983 they moved to Arroyo Grande. There they completely remodeled an old house to live in while they built a Victorian house on the lot next door. Margie said that demolishing walls with a sledgehammer in the old house was “good exercise and free therapy.”

In 1990 they relocated to Graeagle, where Buzzy built a beautiful home in Goldridge Estates. Margie delighted in decorating their home, landscaping the yard, and hosting frequent dinner parties and summer barbeques. Margie made friends wherever she went and was involved in activities at Holy Family Catholic Church, the Model A Club and the community. When Buzzy’s health began to decline, they moved to a smaller house in Portola.

Buzzy passed away in 2004, but she stayed in their home and continued her activities into her late 80s. In her 90s she knitted winter hats and scarves for friends and for children in Portola. She once remarked that her goal was to “cover every little head in town.”

Margie will be remembered for her quick wit, common sense, insight and intelligence. She was interested in and well versed in history and politics. She was a voracious reader, and when she could no longer see well, she listened to audio books on her Kindle. During her last 16 months she shared her home with her granddaughter, Mary Megan Tansey; they were great pals. Margie was a remarkable woman who credited her strength to her unwavering faith in God.

She was preceded in death by Buzzy in 2004.

She is survived by her brother Paul Cook, of Tustin; children Susan Raeder (John), of Reno, Nevada, Fred Baur (Charlotte), of Woodland, Jeanne Tansey (Kevin), of Blairsden, Katie Wheelen (John), of South Lake Tahoe, and Lisa Young (Jonathon), of Dayton, Nevada. She is also survived by 14 grandchildren, 14 great-grandchildren, and numerous beloved nieces and nephews.

A memorial celebration of her life will be held in the spring, on what would have been her ninety-seventh birthday.

Rowe Ronald Cano

Rowe Ronald Cano passed away Feb. 2, 2018, at his home in Ramona, at the age of 82. He was born on April 8, 1935, to the late Rowe and Virginia Cano, in San Jose. As a boy he attended Sacred Heart Catholic School and served as an Alter boy for the Sacred Heart Catholic Church. He attended San Jose Technology High School where he studied television and radio repair.

Rowe was drafted by the US Army in 1958 and traveled to Germany and the Panama Canal. He served until 1960, only to be called back to active duty in 1961 serving an additional eight months duty. After completing his military duty, Rowe went to work as a roofer out of the San Jose union local 95. He worked in the trade for 25-plus years retiring from roofing at the age 55 years old.

In 1963, Rowe married Gail Harris and had two daughters Cheryl (who is now 54) and Susan (who is 52). Although his marriage would not last long, Rowe remained very close to his daughters throughout the years. He enjoyed taking the girls fishing, bird hunting, and going to Half Moon Bay when the smelt would be running.

Rowe’s favorite thing to do was to fish for trout. Before his retirement, as soon as he would get off work he would drive down to Parkway Lakes (located in the south part of San Jose) five days a week rain or shine to catch his daily limit of trout (5). The weekends he loved to spend at the Capital Drive-In Flea Market having a few beers with his buddies or a family member or two.

In 1994, Rowe would leave the Bay Area and move to Lake Almanor along with his daughter Cheryl and her husband Larry Felber. He absolutely loved Almanor especially fishing in Big Springs. There were not very many days out of a year that Rowe would not have a fishing line in the water.

In 2009, while away on a hunting trip he became ill, and found himself in Stanford Hospital. He was diagnosed with Peripheral Artery Disease and Peripheral Vascular Disease, which caused him to have both of his legs amputated above the knee. Even with his handicap he still got down to the lake as often as he could to catch his limit of trout, also managed to hunt for dove every opening day of the season. He was a fighter, and nothing was going to stop him from doing what he loved to do — fish.

In 2016, Rowe and his daughter left the Almanor area, and headed down to San Diego County to help a friend and to enjoy the fresh ocean air. Rowe loved going to the beach a couple of times a week so he could look at the scenery (bikinis).

Rowe will be lovingly remembered and deeply missed by his daughters Cheryl Felber, of Ramona and Susan Cano, of Fremont; his nieces, Virginia Lederer and her husband, Mike, of Alamo, Tammy Perales and her husband, AI, of Fremont; nephew, Steve Cano and his wife Kathy, of Carson City, Nevada, and his godchild, Josie Brown and her husband Dan, of Carson City, Nevada.

A memorial service will be given for my dad on Feb. 24 at Walton’s Funeral & Cremations – Chapel of the Valley, 1281N. Roop Street, Carson City, NV. 89701, at 11 a.m. There will be a small reception to follow. Please send all flowers and cards to the funeral home.

MaryLou Ellen McCoy

MaryLou Ellen McCoy passed from this life Feb. 8, 2018, at home in Portola at the age of 82.

A celebration of MaryLou’s life took place at home with family. She was loved by many and won’t be forgotten.

Paris G. Moore

A private memorial graveside service will be held for Paris Gray Moore at the Prattville Pioneer Cemetery. Paris passed away on Monday, Feb. 5, 2018, at Enloe Medical Center in Chico.

He was born Sept. 9, 1929, to William and Rena Moore in Platte City, Missouri. Paris graduated from Ontario High School and Chaffey Junior College before he enlisted in the Army. On June 15, 1948, he married Arlus Deay in Ottawa, Kansas, and in September of that year they moved to Chico.

Paris retired as Northern District Manager of California Water Service in 1992. He was a 50-year member of Chico – Leland Stanford Lodge #111 F&AM, Chico Host Lions Club and Chico Elks Lodge #423. Paris enjoyed playing golf, spending summers at Lake Almanor since 1958 and traveling in his motor home.

His survivors include his wife of 69 years, Arlus Moore, of Chico; two children, Connie (Terry) Moore and Bruce Moore, both of Chico; and three grandchildren, Shane, Tyler and Dustin Rainey.

He was preceded in death by his brother, Grant Moore.

Condolences may be made to the family at Donations may be made to the Enloe Hospital Foundation in care of Brusie Funeral Home.

Dwayne Anthony Washoe Sr.

Greenville native and lifelong resident Dwayne Anthony Washoe Sr. passed from this life Friday, Feb. 4, 2018, at Renown Regional Medical Center located in Reno, Nevada.

The son of California natives Leland Jr. and LeeAndria Huff, Dwayne was raised and educated in Greenville, graduating from Greenville High School as a member of the Class of 1987 and lettering in both football and wrestling. He went on to continue his education at Shasta Community College where he was a member of their football practice squad and later while attending Lassen Community College was a member of their wrestling squad.

After leaving school, Dwayne went to work for Indian Head logging and later for Sierra Pacific Industries as a fork lift operator.

Dwayne was proud of his Native American heritage, loved spending time in the outdoors hunting, fishing and camping, trying his luck in the area casinos but most of all bragging about his boys.

In his passing, Dwayne leaves his sons Dwayne Washoe Jr., Brent W. Washoe, Michael Washoe and David Washoe, all of Greenville; daughter, Kattie Jefferson, of Reno, Nevada; parents, Leland D. Washoe Jr. and LeeAndria Huff, of Oroville; brother Leland M. Washoe, of Greenville; and sisters Tina Henry, of Greenville, Heidi Washoe, of Crescent Mills and Lisa Washoe, also of Greenville; along with numerous nieces and nephews.

A time of visitation and sharing is planned for Thursday evening, Feb. 15, from 6 – 8 p.m. at the Fehrman Mortuary Chapel Greenville. Inurnment will take place in the Washoe Family Cemetery. An opportunity to express condolences to the family along with signing the memorial guest register is available online at