Passerby spots fire, averts possible disaster for Quincy neighborhood

At approximately 2:40 p.m. this afternoon, a call came in for a possible structure structure fire on Bell Lane in East Quincy. Quincy Fire Chief Robbie Cassou said that thanks to the quick actions of a passerby, the fire was stopped before it could spread into an adjacent development.

“The wind was blowing it uphill and it could have gone into Galeppi Ranch,” Cassou said. “That could have been devastating.”

The cause of the fire was a tree limb that fell onto a power line next to the Bell Lane resident’s pump house. The flames spread in the dry grass. Cassou said that buckets of water and a residential hose were used to douse the flames, but if the passerby had not noticed, he is not sure what the outcome would have been.

Cassou said it’s important for everyone to remain vigilant in the coming days. Record heat, wind and dry fuel make any spark a potential catalyst to start a fire.